Teaching Your Kids To Love Education

« Back to Home

Flight School: Paths To Getting Your Career Off The Ground

Posted on

From the freedom of flying to the engineering feats required to put a plane in the air, many children kindle an obsession with aviation that never dies. If you're among this group, you have a daunting number of educational options to help you get your career off the ground. Here's guide to help you select the best flight training for your career in aviation.

Do you want to be a pilot?

If you want to be a pilot, you must meet a number of FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) requirement to get your pilot's wings. However, before you can even begin your training you need to decide whether you want to specialize in commercial or private flying.

  • Private: this type of license allows you to operate small aircrafts. These types of licenses are less expensive than a commercial license and are the best option for someone who wants to make flying a secondary career.
  • Commercial: this type of license allows you to operate virtually every aircraft in the sky. These types of licenses are expensive and require years of apprenticeship to earn. If your dream is to be a full-time pilot for your career, you should opt for the commercial license.

Once you've decided which type of license to pursue, you need to consider what type of training you want to receive. In the United States, flight schools generally go through vocational or university institutions. Each type of institution offers two types of pilot's training.

  • Part 61: this type of flight training (mostly for private licenses) gives you the chance to work on a self-paced basis. Because the flight tests are conducted independently, part 61 training is typically provided by independent contractors.
  • Part 141: this type of training (for both private and commercial licenses) is highly structured and follows an established curriculum. Part 141 training is normally completed at one institution that charges a yearly tuition.

Do you want to work in aviation, but not actually fly?

If you don't want to fly, your options are virtually limitless. The biggest decision you need to make is what type of license you want to and what aspect of the industry do you want to work in.

  • Engineering: these licenses and jobs normally require a degree from a university. Many aviation engineers also earn an MA degree before entering the profession.
  • Mechanics: working as an aviation mechanic can mean many things. Consider whether or not you want to work on commercial aircrafts or private aircrafts. Also, you might find that helping to build aircrafts might suit your interests as well.

For more information, contact your preferred aviation schools today!